Canadian Border Requirements

If you plan to fish or boat in Canadian waters the Canadian Border Patrol is now requiring that: 1) they be notified by phone in advance, and 2) that all people in the boat have “proper” identification with them.  Acceptable identification that is commonly available to most Rideout’s guest is their passport ** (see further options below)…which should be safely stowed in a dry bag, along with a working cell phone. The number to call prior to heading into Canada by boat is 1-888-226-7277, during which you will answer some basic questions regarding your travel intentions, citizenship, and any goods that you may need to declare. It is anticipated (based on similar calls made in 2016) that such calls will be required no more than once per day and perhaps as little as once per week if you are traveling in and out of Canadian waters to fish the Canadian coves. Apparently this new requirement is being driven by a perceived terrorism threat to Canada, however the credibility of the program is being questioned because the new Canadian requirements are actually significantly more stringent than the US requirements for Canadians boating into US waters. Finally note that this reporting method is intended for boaters that do not plan to land on Canadian soil. At no time should a boater land on Canadian soil for any reason unless they report personally to the Fosterville port of entry. For more information on this subject please see the following link:

** Other acceptable identification options include:

1) Original birth certificate and a driver license with photo (for US Citizens).

2) Nexus card (for US Citizens)

Note that in the absence of a driver’s license, per the Canadian border patrol, the only practical option for identification of children is a passport!

Google map of East Grand Lake showing the international border:,-67.7096271,11z

Additional information from the Canadian border patrol:  

“Further information on identification requirements for US Citizens and permanent residents:

If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Whether you're entering by air, land or water, we recommend you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the U.S. A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes.

Canadian citizens who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land and marine modes only.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.”