Frequently Asked Questions
- Can we bring alcoholic beverages to Rideout's?
Yes; beer, wine and spirits are allowed on the grounds, Cabins, Rec Room & the Dining Room. We do not sell any alcoholic beverages.
- Where is the closest grocery store?
There is Knight's Thriftway 4 miles south in Danforth; several larger Grocery Stores (Andy's IGA, County Yankee & Hannaford's) 32 miles north in Houlton.
- Where is the closest commercial airport?
Bangor International (BGR) is just under 2 hours south of Rideout's - many major airlines fly to and from BGR. The next closest airport is in Portland (PWM) - a 4 hour drive from Rideout's.
- What is your GPS address?
142 Butterfield Landing Road Weston, Maine 04424 will get you here!
- Is the water warm enough to swim?
Of course! Mid-late June, July, August and into early September are the best months to swim. We have a small, sandy beach and new swim platform!
- Are there fire pits at Rideout's?
Unfortunately, not in the Main Lodge area - our insurance company does not allow - sorry.
- Do you have a grill to use?
Yes; it is in close proximity to all Cabins for all to use.
- Can I bring my own grill?
Yes - provided is it propane or electric (no briquettes, please).
- Is smoking permitted in the Cabins?
While we do not prevent people from smoking inside the Cabins, we respectively ask that all smoking is done on the porches or outside and dispose of all cigarette and cigar butts properly. Smoking is not permitted in the Dining Room or Rec Room.
- Can a non-Guest rent a boat from Rideout's?
Unfortunately, not - another insurance requirement; sorry.
- Do you sell Maine Fishing Licenses?
No - please go online to the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and purchase prior to your trip.
- Do you sell Canadian Fishing Licenses?
No - please go on-line directly to http://www.snb.ca/ to purchase a Canadian license prior to your trip.
- Do you sell Maine milfoil stickers? No - please go on-line directly to https://www10.informe.org/webshop_ifw/index.php?c=25&storeID=2. Always allow at least 2 weeks for snail mail delivery of milfoil stickers once ordered.
- Do you have a Tackle Shop? Yes we do with a small, but nice selection of fishing gear.
- Do you rent fishing rods? Yes, we do - however we encourage Guests to bring the rods they are the most comfortable with using.
- Do you rent Fish Finders or Trolling Motors?
Yes; to those Guests renting Rideout's boats these pieces of equipment are rented for $10 per day per item.
- Do you sell live bait?
Subject to availability, we sell live smelts and shiners on site. We usually have "pickled" and frozen smelt on hand, too - both work quite well when live bait is not available.
- Will Rideout's cook the fish we catch?
If on the All-Inclusive plan we will cook your salmon and lake trout for breakfast.
- Can I bring my own boat?
Yes; there is a $10 per day Boat Fee for using our on-site launch, dock space (with power and lights) and trailer storage across the street. PLEASE REMEMBER TO GO ON-LINE TO THE MAINE DEPARTMENT OF INLAND FISHERIES WEBSITE TO BUY YOUR "MILFOIL" STICKER, TOO - THEY ARE REQUIRED ON ALL MAINE LAKES, PONDS AND RIVERS.
- Are dogs allowed?
Yes - we ask that the dog be under the Owner's control (leashed) at all times; not left in the Cabins alone and if wet, they need to be dried off before going into the Cabins. Dogs are not allowed to sleep on the furniture or beds. PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A $10/day/dog (or a $30.00 max.) FEE FOR YOUR DOG THAT IS PAYABLE WHEN RESERVING A CABIN. Any damage caused by the dog will be charged to the Dog Owner at time of check out or upon discovery of damage after departure.
- Do cell phones work at Rideout's?
For the most part, Guests rarely have an issue getting good cell coverage. You may want to watch your cell phone bill about a month after your visit to see if there are any Canadian roaming charges on your bill.
- Do you have WIFI?
Yes; in the Main Lodge Rec Room. We purchase data from Hughes Net satellite which is very expensive, so please limit wifi use to e-mail only, in particular no streaming of audio or video content (e.g. movies, music, YouTube, Skype, etc.), and no downloads. In late summer 2017 fiber optic DSL will be available here at the Lodge so these restrictions will be reduced dramatically.
- Do you have Cable TV?
Yes; in the Main Lodge Rec Room we have Satellite TV.
- Are there ATV trails nearby?
Yes - very close by.
- Are there any hiking trails nearby?
Yes; there is a nice and easy hike up Peekaboo Mountain 2 miles from Rideout's - great views!
- Are there any golf courses nearby?
Yes - Houlton Community Golf Course is about 45 minutes away. There is also Danforth Golf about 10 minutes away which has a driving range and small mini-golf course.